Montag, 3. April 2017

St Kilda

The first day we arrived in Melbourne, one of the first thing that was explained to us by our host was how to get to St Kilda. It's like there was no other choice than to eventually go there. So I went a couple of times.

The first time was alone and riding the tram. An older lady started a conversation with me. After a while she explained that she went there to see her son taking part in the parade.

- What kind of parade?
- A gay parade.
- Huh.

After I told her what kind of work I do, she told me that her son worked in an IT company and to look it up. I liked her.

I don't understand the modern usage of the word "pride".

I thought I had luck for arriving at a party on my first day there but I later found out that everywhere you go in Melbourne there is a 50% chance of there being a festival of some sort. The whole thing was fun, despite the forced "whoos" half the time. The best or the worst thing I saw (I can't decide which) was a half a dozen men taking part with Greek flags. The patriotism of my fellow Greeks swings between ludicrous and worrying.

A bit later I went swimming and it was dissapointing all around. It took ages to get deep enough, the water was unclear, it smelled a bit like petrol.

Dissapointing.

The next couple of times we went there, we visited a good restaurant, there was a warm day with much more action on the beach with a beach volleyball court every couple of meters. There was a single day good for swimming where the waters seemed a bit more clear but other than that, it was dissapointing.

The best day for St Kilda.

I get that you can't get good swimming conditions so close to the harbour but other cities do have good beaches and it WAS advertised as the premier beach of Melbourne. The buzz at the beach at generally around St Kilda was good but I have seen comparable in the 2000 people village at the beach we go in Greece for the summer. At least I think it is still this way because I have avoided the busy season for a decade now.

The whole thing brought Melbourne down a notch in the consideration as a place to live for a longer period of time.

Keine Kommentare:

Kommentar veröffentlichen